We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
Deciding when the time is right for euthanasia is not always an easy decision. There are many factors to consider, though the most important consideration is based on your cat’s quality of life. No one wants to see their cat suffer and we are privileged in veterinary medicine that we can make sure our pets don’t have to suffer at the end of their lives.
When should I consider pet euthanasia?
A veterinarian will be able to discuss your options. You may also want to consider if you’re going to be with your cat or not. You should also consider If you want it performed in your home or at the clinic and what you would like for aftercare of your cat.
What is the process for cat euthanasia?
It can be hard to determine if or when the time is right to end your cat’s pain and suffering, humanely. The euthanasia of a beloved pet is a difficult time for everyone involved. However, it may be less of a strain if you have prepared in advance for the euthanasia process and you know what to expect.
Do you do house calls?
Yes, we can offer a house call service, from one of our sister clinics, for euthanasia at home. Some pets become very distressed at the animal hospital, and this may provide a kind way to say a peaceful and calm goodbye.
Can I stay with my cat during euthanasia?
Owners are certainly able to stay with their pets during the euthanasia procedure.
What is the cost of at home or in-hospital euthanasia?
This cost may vary. We offer options for the respectful care of your pets remains including cremation and ashes in an urn
Do you offer pet bereavement support service?
We can refer you to several websites to help: The Association of Pet Loss and Bereavement, The Rainbow Bridge, and Metro Pet Crematory can also offer support. As well some pet insurance companies offer bereavement counselling.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Monday, March 23, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a “closed waiting room” policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 902-477-4040. We will take a history from outside of your vehicle, and bring your pet into the clinic for an examination with the veterinarian. We will then return to your vehicle with your pet to discuss our recommended treatment plan. If you do not have a cell phone please knock our door to let us know you have arrived and then return to your vehicle.
2. We are continuing to accept appointments for urgent or sick pets, as well as time-sensitive puppy/kitten vaccinations. All other services will be scheduled for a later time.
3. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tuesday: 1:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Wednesday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday: 1:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Friday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the hospital. Our staff will bring your order to your car and take payment over the phone. You can also use our online store and have your food delivered directly to your home. To sign up for the online store, visit our website.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our roles. As such, we have taken measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid and any updates will be provided as changes occur.
- Your dedicated team at Spryfield Animal Hospital